View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 08:01 AM

That looks like a second Gen C Record RD. I don’t see a cable adjuster so assume you’re using friction shifting which makes things easier.

I don’t have experience with that particular RD, but have used 1st Gen C Record; however never pushed it harder than a 39-26 big small. I have used several Super Record RD’s set up with 39 or 42 ring up to 28 rear without any problems and on one bike even have a compact 34 chainring on a 26 rear. In your shoes I’d give it a go on the 13-28 but might have to be careful on big ring big cog shifts.

Secondly I’m not a huge fan of the IRD freewheels. They tend to have a reputation for short lifespans and this was born out with a very low mileage (<200) one making death screech noises on second day of Cino (admittedly harsh conditions). I’m partial to the older Suntour and Shimano freewheels, Dura Ace being my favorite. 6 to 7 speed depends mostly on the frame, most of the time it’s fine, but sometimes I’ll get chain rub on the chainstay on the small cog. I mostly use 8 speed chains, KMC as they’re cheap, come with a master link and friction shifting is pretty smooth.