View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
OK, so put another way — the GRX 12-speed derailleur requires a different amount of cable pull to move the same distance as compared to the XT 12-speed derailleur when shifting on the same 12-speed cassette? And if so, holy hell is that stupid.

Thanks for the heads up on the Microshift. That’s what I was considering before I went down the GRX 12-speed rabbit hole. The “budget” option would be the Microshift barend, Wolftooth drop bar dropper lever, and TRP Hylex RS brakes. I’ve done a lot of off-road riding with barend shifters so that doesn’t put me off.

The Gucci build would be GRX 12-speed levers, calipers, and rear derailleur, with the left lever actuating the dropper.
Just chiming in to agree, even if it has been going on forever, the pull ratio incompatibility is stupid. The only reason for it is to force people into a few extra purchases in upgrade/conversion situations like this. So dumb.

Also, want to say I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and went with the Microshift barend and TRP Hylex levers solution on a drop bar 29er build. I assumed I'd keep them around for a minute and then upgrade to GRX or AXS when I had the money, but now I can't imagine why. The Hylex levers are probably my favorite brakes I've ever had (though I think I'm in a minority where the hoods seem to be a perfect fit for my hands) and the friction barend does stuff that indexed shifting just can't do. It's a great solution.