View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
So run it on separate days and see what happens. My guess is it would financially crush the race organizers (at least in the current model)....which is why they don't do it. If there was money to be made doing it on 2 days vs. 1, doesn't she think they'd already be doing it? If you force organizers to do it in the name of "parity", you're just subsidizing.....and all that comes with that. Hence my "...cake and eat it too..." comment.
It says a lot about the sport that events with 2-4000+ attendees at $200+ each cannot support 2 race days. Especially when they are held on open roads with often minimal public service support and largely volunteer labor force.

The races (and professional cycling) are already subsidized in a myriad of ways, while I'm not sure separate days are the answer or even a good option - I don't think this is a credible argument.

Of note for some unaware - the Ironman Championships was split between two days for men/women for the last two years, as well the UCI gravel world championships held last year.