View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 04:29 PM
litcrazy

quality and demand

I am curious about this idea of factoring in quality when tracking inflation.

I used the Prius as a reference point with this in mind. Hybrid technology has improved such that the rise in price of a Prius also comes with performance benefits. Perhaps that's not true for a pair of jeans, an apple or a gallon of gas. But that's why I noted the much lower price increase for the Prius where this same consideration would apply.

I also chose cable actuated 105 to put aside the question of the cost of electronic shifting. Still, the price increase was 80%.

Because bikes are a luxury item, I also chose 105 level because it stands at a particular status level in the Shimano hierarchy. Quality is so hard to measure. I do think more modern bikes by many measures are better for a particular kind of rider. Though very few riders fit in this category (shifts better in a sprint under power...).

However, in my mind the cost of 105 can't be mitigated by saying now Claris is better, because as a luxury item, Claris doesn't offer the same respectability/prestige as 105, and so much of what is being sold is respectability/prestige. Thus, you can't compare a 2024 Camry to a Lexus even if it has the same horsepower and as many speakers.

Finally, I don't dispute the role of supply and demand, but if it does feel at odds with the sense of obligation I feel I'm supposed to feel to local shops, small brand and MUSA parts. Based on this logic, I should hope for a sharp drop in prices as a market correction to the 80% increase in price over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, I have too much of a parasocial relation to many in the bike industry to not feel bad for the real world impact this would/will have for many involved.