View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
The comment about air damping was just that cane creek knows how to do air damping not that this fork has it, perhaps it does, I’m not sure any of us know here.

Has anyone claimed forks need oil damping?

On a side note, has anyone gone to their website to see what they claim? Maybe this is easy to answer

Skimmed through website including downloadable pdf manual, saw no mention of damping

I have to ask, do you work for cane creek or something???
The argument is the lack of oil damper makes it junk because short travel forks in the 1990s weren't good (apparently). Looking at the disassembled view and the various schematics available for the AD systems and other systems without oil damping I think it's clear the damping is provided by the air spring system in addition to the seals/rings and surface treatments.

IMO "undamped" is incorrect terminology for this type of fork.

This blurb is not an explanation([] mine):

Quote:
The space above the piston is the negative air spring, and below it is the positive air spring. On the right side of the fork is the Climb Switch lockout mechanism, which I describe below. It’s not a damper, and here’s why:

Cane Creek tested prototypes with and without a compression/rebound damper inside and found that none of the test riders noticed any real difference in performance. If anything, the [OIL] compression damping limited how responsive the fork could be because, with just 30-40mm of travel, a damping circuit barely has time to actuate, anyway.