View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
We don't have the cut-aways to show all the internal workings of the parts on the right side, but it's a pretty good bet that it is a damper. Adding to that is the lockout switch is on the same side, and the standard way to lock out a fork is to lock the damper ports shut.

I'll throw my guess here that the engineers said something like, "It's all done with air, there's no oil damper", and the ad copy writers assumed there was no damper at all.
From the Bikerumor write up https://bikerumor.com/cane-creek-inv...spension-fork/

Quote:
The space above the piston is the negative air spring, and below it is the positive air spring. On the right side of the fork is the Climb Switch lockout mechanism, which I describe below. It’s not a damper, and here’s why:

Cane Creek tested prototypes with and without a compression/rebound damper inside and found that none of the test riders noticed any real difference in performance. If anything, the compression damping limited how responsive the fork could be because, with just 30-40mm of travel, a damping circuit barely has time to actuate, anyway.

Before you dismiss it, remember that this is a fork designed to be as light as possible, as simple as possible, and be completely focused on gravel racing and riding from a drop-bar rider’s perspective. Losing the damper lets it react better to the small stuff typically found on gravel roads and trails…and now no one needs to explain what a damper is to a roadie.