View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Question: Is this fork intended for aftermarket sales, or are gravel bike makers designing around (this or other) short travel suspension forks? Even a short travel suspension fork is substantially taller than a rigid fork, and retrofitting one in place of a rigid fork will result in a significant change in the geometry, and therefore the fit and handling, of a gravel bike.
Canyon, Santa Cruz, and State (which means open mold) - off the top of my head are some mfgs designing with gravel forks in mind, I'm sure there are others. Canyon has had a gravel suspension bike in the market for several years.

Right now the industry loves slacker and more stability. End users seem to downplay the differences. The first time I rode a gravel fork on a frame designed without intent for it I was pretty blown away by the handling difference but the owner was nonchalant and said he hardly noticed anything.

I mean look at how regular Joes struggle to talk about trail - changing that along with reach etc, while also adding suspension is a lot to internalize and structure mentally to discuss with someone else. For most riders it's probably going to be a good thing anyway.

There does seem to be indications fork height is increasing. For "normal" rigid fork designs 395-400 atc is becoming less common with more forks 410+. Tire clearance and fork compatibility both benefits.