View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Buy a gas Ford 7.3. Tows 8k no problem. Diesels have DEF to deal with, complex emissions systems, and a turbo etc. They are nice, but expensive to maintain. 15 qts of oil, 5k intervals on mine.
The big gas Ford makes its peak torque at highish rpm (4k) so the transmission logic is quite different from a diesel.
Ford's diesels have all had their issues. The latest, the 6.7. seems better but go cruise the used market on FB or somewhere, there are a TON of reasonably low mileage 6.4's dirt cheap that "need motor".
Dodge? Great motor, in a truck that falls apart (at least they used to, no current knowledge).
GM's are nice, drive more like cars but pull like trucks. But any diesel will have 2x the general upkeep cost of a gas truck.
I never thought DEF was that big of a deal. The low level warning comes on at 500 miles remaining. When I travel with the trailer, most of the gas stations with pull-throughs have a DEF pump next to the Diesel pump. If I was in Arizona year round, my oil change would be 5K miles but my truck spends the hot months in Wyoming, so I stick to the 7500 schedule. I had a high pressure fuel pump failure on my 6.7, but Ford covered it all. As soon as my warranty expires, I'll install the disaster kit to protect the fuel system.

I agree with the Dodge statement. A great drivetrain wrapped in a Chrysler. We are a two diesel family, my wife drives a 2007 2500 with a 6.6 Duramax. Her truck has 325K miles.

We have a 1.5L Ford Escape for anything that doesn't require a truck.