View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 02:07 PM

I pull a 9500-pound travel trailer with a 2020 F 250 with the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel. 8000 pounds is within the advertised capacity of most half-ton pickups. A few things, what will the gross weight of the trailer be when fully loaded, tongue weight with relation to payload, payload includes the people and stuff in the truck. Some dealers will suggest a towing package for a half-ton, which changes the gearing and beefs up the suspension, impacting the non-towing mileage and ride.

My F-250, with its ten-speed transmission, will get 22 mpg without a trailer. I get around 13 with the trailer. Ford makes two good gas motors for their Super Duty trucks, either of which would be more than adequate for my trailer. I like having 7000+ pounds of truck pulling my trailer, especially in crosswinds and steep descents. Gas or diesel wouldn't matter; they come with the ten-speed, so engine braking is easy. A gas Super Duty isn't much more than a well-equipped half-ton.

I retired from full-time work in 2022. We take the travel trailer to our property in Wyoming, May to August. It is our summer home. We also take it to Yellowstone and numerous state parks all summer to flyfish. I put a 2" receiver on the rear bumper for my Kuat rack to bring bikes. The back of my truck has my tools, a generator, pancake air compressor, and my bike stuff.