View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 12:16 PM
#RYFB

I think it would be helpful to know how much more low gearing you think you need beyond your current 34/27. If just a 30 or 32 in the rear will be enough then a longer RD cage and a new cassette should serve. If you think those are ok for now but you'll need more in the future, then a new crankset (in combination with these changes) makes the most sense.

If you want to keep the Campy look then the Chorus 12 48/32 crankset is the right choice, and they're available in 165 (as Mark already pointed out above). Praxis is also a good alternative unless your BB is ITA (not impossible but a royal PITA, involves buying one of several ITA BBs and swapping one of the bearings). If you think you'll need more, then a 46/30 like the White Industries (or one of those Suginos?) is probably a better choice.

I used a Praxis Zayante carbon 48/32 crankset on my Ottrott with pre-2015 SR shift group (short RD cage, 11-29 cassette) and it worked great. I do a lot of climbing, including quite steep stuff, and even if I couldn't really spin the 32/29 on the steepest stuff, it was adequate. Having the additional 32 in the back on my current Chorus 12 setup makes things a bit better when my legs are tired.