View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 10:50 AM

Custom

I have had multiple custom shoes and none of them worked out long term.

Originally had Rocket 7 back in the 90's- They were never even close to fitting properly and Rocket 7 could not make the proper adjustments.

Had a couple pairs of D2- Same Experience. On 2nd set I even went to Don for casting.

Here are the problems that I see.
1.) There is a difference in translation from casting of your foot to actual shoe. Might be the shoe maker, might be the casting- But it does not always translate.
2.) Free adjustments it get it right are all well and good, but if you don't live close to the shoe maker it becomes expensive and time consuming. Think $50 and 2 weeks for each adjustment.
It is easy to become frustrated with the process and give up. That was always my experience.
None of this is to throw shade on Don. He would have kept chaining/modifying as long as I had patience. It was me that ran out of steam on this.

For me, the most practical solution was a good pair of custom insoles and a shoe that is close to my foot shape. I have ridden Bont for many years. But their actual sizing and shape changed with the Vapor S and they no longer worked as well for me. I was actually better with the older Buckle/Velcro models. Currently on newest version of Specialized S-Works Torch and Recon. Toe box is generous. The only thing that I have found is that I need a different custom insole to properly fit the inner shape of the shoe. It is very different from Bont.