Thread: Challenge tires
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Yes, plenty. It's nearly always wet here in upstate NY it seems. I have no issues with these tires in the wet, understanding that they have very minimal tread. That said, our roads tend to be rough chip seal that drain well and have good traction even when soaking wet. On the gravel they do fine considering the limited tread type and that they are a bit of a round, rather than square (MTB) profile so your contact patch is limited.

I say these ride like a cross tubular as opposed to the other gravel tires I've put a bunch of miles on lately, the Tufo Gravel Thundero which is more like a narrow MTB tire, and the outer tread layer is a bit more supple and therefore a bit better wet traction. But those roll slower on pavement so I prefer the Getaways.
Thanks. I've read many accounts of poor wet traction with the Challenge handmade tires, particularly the Strada Bianca and Getaway. Happy to read a different opinion. I don't often ride in the wet so made a conscious choice for fast dry weather tires, but you never know.