View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
In my ship driving days (Navy) we had situations for “restricted maneuvering” meaning the propulsion dept took excess measures to keep the lights on and the screw and rudder working, even if it meant causing damage to the propulsion; a very big deal for a steam turbine but this ship is likely diesel so not sure how it would differ. Going in and out of port was one of those situations. We also had an anchor ready to let go but even if this ship had an anchor ready, the water may be too deep and I can only imagine how long it would take to set or how many you’d need for a vessel like that.

It’s pretty routine for a pilot to stay aboard until well outside a harbor, but immaterial in this situation.
I've only been in big Navy ships, and only the ones that are museums.

It's actually bonkers how big the powerplants are and how complex. The most recent one I visited was the USS Yorktown and it was rather crazy to see how the powerplant is the size of a 2-story house with stations up and down both sides. Lots of placards with highly technical information and the crew obviously had to communicate and coordinate extremely well.

I'd imagine a 2015 Merchant Marine ship is highly computerized the crew probably has nowhere near the same level of hands on understanding and professionalism if things are not working perfectly.

It does boggle my mind the Wikipedia page says the Dali's powerplant is a 2-Stroke! I had heard these ships have almost no environmental controls but I would never have imagined it was a 50,000hp two stroke. Nice and simple, but somehow I've got to imagine very dirty. (edit: I see claims that one of these ships pollutes as much as 50 million 4-stroke modern petrol cars)