View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
A young and inexperienced juvenile, perhaps responding to the motion of the woman so nearby. Never run from a cougar.

I'm amazed though that it didn't let go and escape when surrounded and the strength of the cat is amazing. Wrong place wrong time for everyone; what a story.

Re cougars in the East. My sister swears she saw one in Pennsylvania and I believe her. The cat experts say they're not there because if they were there would be some evidence of a breeding and growing population. Juvenile males disperse to unoccupied territory and more than a few have been documented in the east. But females don't disperse nearly as often or as far, so the challenge is getting a female all the way east. The males are considered transient, and often die by car on a roadway. That said there is a whole lot of viable cougar habitat in the east with a very plentiful prey base. And more and more they're showing up in the midwest, but typically get killed, usually intentionally, for having done nothing but being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
We could use a few of them to cull the dear population. Humans don't harvest them as much as they used to and since they are edge feeding animals when neighborhoods replaces farms they overpopulate.