View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Speaking of data sharing, there might be some benefit to all of us.

To drivers who go habitually drive recklessly or fast, once you associate your high premiums with your driving habits, perhaps you'll tame your driving.

What I predict will happen is, insurance companies will offer the "potential" of lower premiums if data is shared or if chosen to opt out, premiums will be extremely higher, forcing drivers to opt in.
I doubt it. The result will be more uninsured reckless drivers. A part of me thinks a person who has their license revoked, should have their car confiscated, sold and given the proceeds. It should be against the law to sell a car to someone without a valid license. If you sell a car for someone without a valid license, you should be held liable. Same for companies with drivers.
I think license renewals should happen at shorter intervals as we age. Cognitive and physical declines can happen quickly, and 10 years is much too long for an 80 year old not to be retested.

A car is a transportation device until in the hands of someone incapable of operating it, then it is a dangerous weapon.

It sounds a bit like the nanny state, but if you want to stop a lot of needless death, it is the way. Otherwise admit you are willing to accept a high number of people being killed yearly by impaired, wreckless, dangerous drivers.