View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Taking this in a bit different direction..

I absolutely love how my BMC SLR01 handles and have been looking at options with similar geo, which basically comes down to road bikes that have higher trail - 63mm in my "XL" sized frame. From what I'm seeing, that trail figure was fairly standard on Italian builds back in the day before the crit-craze pushed a lot of companies to the 73-73.5 deg HTA and shorter wheelbases that are ubiquitous now.

So, do I have options to find a steel frameset that is performance oriented but has that front end geometry? Looks like a Colnago Masterlight or C-series would get me that if I can find the right size.. what else?

For reference:

I don't think a lot of the older bikes that weren't Italian had this much trail, at least for race style bikes. Bob Jackson in the early 70s had 73 degree HTA and 51mm fork rake, so about 50mm trail. The '89 Casati I had for a year had a 73 degree HTA with a very small fork rake of 38mm so trail was just where you like it, 64mm.

It's (I think) uncommon today for a mfgr to keep the same HTA and fork rake across all sizes from 47 to 61, as shown in your geo table. Usually front center on the small frames drives a slacker HTA, and the carbon forks have fewer options for rake adjustment. Best case is two rakes across the line, as HTA changes. The Specialized Diverge uses the same fork rake across the line, and trail goes from 69mm to 57mm.