View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
This right here...I worked professionally for years...ran a darkroom as well printing for others...spent years and years perfecting the Adams zoner method on the perfect black and white...both via camera and then printing...and it took me a long time to give up real film...but I finally realized that these little computer filters really can do it all via light and to just let it go and ease up...that it's ok to let the machine do the work...as for real camera stuff and printing...I just can't imagine what boatloads of D76 might cost now and good paper and all that perfect printing jazz would run...let alone the chemical baths we used to take literally in the darkroom...and actually, if anyone takes it serious and knows what this is about you do most nearly all of your work via a good print in the darkroom...you don't take it for processing...that is a copout...

On the lighter side, have thought about getting one of the Polaroid land cameras for the instant stuff as those take me back to when I started as a young kid and altho pricey for film, kinda fun...
This makes sense. If you're only doing a little bit for fun film is fine.

Doing a roll a week is nothing though even for a serious amateur or someone trying to make a little money. I was easily at that back in the early 2000s.

That was a big mess, and scanning them takes too long, and a roll a week was like $1000/yr if you're not doing them in the darkroom yourself. And doing them in the darkroom would of course take a lot of time. At that time that was a stupid amount of money. A $3000 digital camera at the time seemed like a ton of money, but the digital cameras I've had at that price range ended up way cheaper in the end.

And if you went to some sporting event like a bike race and shoot 500 pictures and want to take chances on motion blur and such? That will make you stop using film really fast.

I had forgot about Holga.. that is one of the last film cameras I had/have.. I had one of the build your own kits. It was fun to build, pictures were horrible, but the process of using it was kind of fun.

Last edited by benb; 03-05-2024 at 05:03 PM.