View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
That has not been my experience. Mid cut boots give me more ankle support.

I have extremely flat feet which cause me to pronate and also results in ankle instability. I do strengthening exercises for them all the time.
Backpacking light forum used to be another haunt for me and guys with a ton more distance hiking experience than I ever will aggressively argue that is simply not true and I will have to agree. I find the most stable solution is a zero drop shoe with minimal padding so you feel the trail and don’t have all that stiff rubber and stack under the foot that reduces traction and makes it easier to roll. Not all feet can take that though. I am less likely to roll my foot in a Chaco or Altra lone peak/olympus than a high cut hiking boot.

The higher cuffs provide more protection against scuffs on rocks, etc though which could be really important for certain trails or personal needs. But they don’t provide more stability. A boot to me feels like a cast that weighs a ton that slows me down and has less traction. The impervious feel some offer is addicting though and can be worth it I suppose just for that experience alone. I rarely will still wear my Aku or Zamberlan welted all leather boots in the winter hiking in the southwest higher elevations. They last forever!

Same with waterproof boots in nearly all scenarios…don’t need em!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-03-2024 at 07:43 AM.