View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
Are you looking for something to ride brevets on? Or are you looking for something that generally fits the internet's overall concept of what "randonneur bike" means? Because the range of bikes that people happily and comfortably use for randonneuring is much broader than the internet's image of what constitutes a "randonneur rig".

There's nothing wrong with the stereotypical randonneuring bike, but it's only one choice among many of what people ride for actual randonneuring. Lots of people ride plain ol' stock road bikes, gravel bikes, cross bikes, etc, perfectly happily. And lots of people ride custom bikes, and vintage bikes, and 650b conversion bikes, old bikes, new bikes, and so on.
Agreed! Good advice for the OP here.

Around 10 to 12 years ago I rode brevets on an 80’s Bianchi road bike I converted to rando mode with 650B wheels, fenders, and a big Carradice saddle bag. That Bianchi was my only bike as the time! Since then I’ve put together more bikes and done all sorts of riding including traditional road riding and races, gravel rides and races, CX races. When I finally go back for another brevet, I’ll either ride my Allez Sprint or my single speed steel CX bike, that will be a tough choice!