View Single Post
Old 01-09-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
This. But, for whatever reasons, rural America seems chock full of misanthropes.

Bike-packing in rural VA, every other house seems to have signage to the effect of “NO TRESSPASSING WE HAVE GUNS AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM!” And the alternate houses have purple flashes on all the trees.

I have a coworker with acreage out in the boonies. He once got in a huff because somebody XC skied across the edge of his property. I couldn’t understand why he was upset. It’s just trees out there (no farming operation to disrupt, not near his home/garden, etc). He only knew they were there because the skied after work and had headlamps on - had they gone through mid-day, he likely would never have known.
Even though we claim to be civilized when it comes down to it we are animals. Mammals to be precise, Homo Sapiens. Animals tend to create territories for various reasons and piss out a border line and if another animal comes into it then it's a violation. We don't fight and claim for territory in the US anymore, we purchase it, and we don't piss out a boundary we put fences up. But it's really the same thing.

Someone mentioned Scotland, in Maine once it snows you can ski or snowmobile where ever you want. I like that law and it seems that people up there do too. So culture has a lot to do with it too.