View Single Post
Old 09-25-2023, 08:17 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Mstate, that Caad3 is stunning. Great job on the paint. Can you please tell me a little or a lot about how it rides? I'm thinking of one for myself.

Also your painting process. I don't think we ride the same size (I'm 5'11", prefer a 54, can ride a 56) or I'd be pm'ing you an offer right now instead of making this post.
Thanks! The painting was fun- I am not the most creative and was definitely inspired by the All City Mr Pink 10th Anniversary paint scheme. Inspired, but still different.
I stripped and sanded off all paint, used 2 part primer, then painted the frame and fork black. Sanded it smooth and sprayed 3 colors of spray paint in splatter style. Then clearcoated with 2 part high gloss clear coat.
I used Montana Gold spray cans and SprayMax 2k primer and clear coat.
To get the splatter, I drilled into the plastic spray nozzle cap with a small drill bit. This makes the paint not become an aerosolized mist and it instead sprays out in larger tiny blobs. If you drill thru the small hole in the nozzle cap, you introduce air into the process when you press down on the nozzle cap and I think this helps it splatter spray tiny drops everywhere.
You can actually see where I started spraying with one can- it's on the downtube right below a decal and is a burst of pink. That one was the 2nd color and it took me by surprise since it sprayed differently from the first can. It's almost like my garage created effect isn't consistent! Haha.

As for the bike- I do love it. I am 6'5 220# and it feels fantastic to me. The tires on there right now are 27mm true width and the bike jumps ahead when I push hard. It's definitely more aggressive than my main road bike, but it's still very comfortable and easy to ride.
I added a carbon fork because the frame didn't come with a fork and also because I wanted a threadless setup.