View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 02:54 AM

Weight loss

I went from 220 to 187 last year with that # being my race day goal for Mt. Washington. I needed to be at that # if I was going to make it to the finish. I am 67. Last time I weighed 187 was when I was 16. I played college football and rowed at 194-200. I was 250 in my early 50s.
I spent 3 months in crutches last Oct. Ankle break. I got depressed. No exercise. Ate terrible. Topped out at 212. Decided to do Washington again. That is my inspiration. I only have a few more years when I can do it. Given my situation I am trying to get weight to 178 by race day. Last year, even at 187, I was not lean. 21 more lbs to lose.
I weigh myself in am, before and after exercise to monitor hydration and in pm. Keeps me focused and aids in self- control/willpower. Two things have helped me: I eat a lot more protein (veggies., tuna, powder) and twice a week I run steps (as well as other training). The steps are tough with this ankle but that 30 minutes accelerates the weight loss - akin to intense hiit training, about 2 min. intervals. Really a brutal workout on the wrong side of comfort.