View Single Post
Old 11-12-2022, 10:27 PM

There is nothing about the 2022+ specialized crux that is any different in adjusting headset preload than any other common headset preload adjustment.

The lower headset bearing dimensions is specific to a few Specialized branded bikes but is not hard to find.

If the headset is binding which I haven't seen on any crux, a .5-1mm micro shim or two could stop binding between the conical shaped bearing cover and the frame. But like I said I've never seen an interference or binding on a crux of any year and I've seen a lot.

It could be the forks expander plug pulling out of the steerer as you try and preload the headset. You can pull the stem top cap and see if the expander plug is sitting flush against the top of the fork steerer tube. It should be easy to see if that's the problem. If there is a gap between the expander plug and top of the fork steerer, loosen the expander so you can drop it all the way into the fork and tighten it so it can't move. Then make a headset adjust like normal. Obviously, if the stem top cap is hitting the top of the fork steerer/expnader plug before you get proper headset preload you will always have play in the headset. a headset spacer above the stem may be needed to allow for proper headset preload.

I hope this makes sense and I'm not "forum explaining" something.