View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 09:56 AM

One reason I wouldn't use this product is that it uses a cone instead of a wedge. Cones can cause the steerer tube to bulge.

From https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/..._wedge_v_cone/ , but you can find this elsewhere. I remember issues with Cinelli stems BITD, if memory serves me correctly.

Cone quill stems are the older system and functionally inferior to a wedge system in every way.

the cone applies a lot of force over a small area on the steerer (basically a ring). this causes the steerer tube to deform over time. nce this has happened you can't adjust the height by small amounts in this area because it will always tend to go back to the weidend diameter when tightening. the cone quill can also work itself into the stem shaft given the steerer has expanded enough making removal a true pita.

this doesn't happen on a wedge since the force is spread over a much larger area

the steerer tube inner diameter is slightly wider than the stem outer diameter:

on a cone wedge the only surface the stem makes contact with the steerer tube is the small ring mentioned earlier. the stem is "centered" in the steerer tube and there are technically small gaps everywhere else. when applying force to the bars the stem will bend accordingly every time.

on a wedge system you have a line shaped contact area equal to the biggest height of the cone (usually pointed towards the front) AND on the opposite side a line shaped contact area equal to the inserted length of the shaft (usually pointed towards the rear).

when you now apply forwards or backwards pressure the stem will move much less since the effective lever length is much shorter (ending at the top of the steerer and not at the quill area) and when you move sideways the shaft can't just move sideways, it also has to move forward because its standard position is at the back of the steerer.

a wedge can be made out of aluminium and a quill can't without sacrificing durability. therefore a wedge stem can be made lighter.

OVERALL a wedge stem doesn't destroy your steerer over time, is stiffer, easier to adjust and can be lighter.

the only way a cone quill is superior is ease of manufacturing: countersink stem shaft, cut two compression slots into the shaft, done. (wedge requires a jig to make the cut straight and at the exact angle required)

None of my quill stems or adapters have a cone, and I wouldn't use one that does.

Last edited by MikeD; 07-02-2022 at 09:59 AM.