View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
The loss factors exist in isolation of rider weight. Tire size is more relevant to comfort than speed, for a rider's weight. Big guys still need skinny tires to be fast for racing.

I've ridden and raced every major wheel and tire size since 2013 (26", 27.5 & 650b, 700c & 29"). I'm probably the only guy in the world to seriously attempt road racing on 650bx42, among other experiments. Tire width makes a huge difference in speed and is as important to the individual rider as is aero or weight. There's no reason to discuss only one thing at the expense of the other. If a racer is to care about aero, they also need to care about tire width - Cda as well as Crr.
That is another factor Im working on. At what point do I want to give up speed for comfort, mileage or time wise?

The weather on the ETS was horrendous and my BMC Monstercross disc ate it up and was comfortable to the finish. In dry weather, I wonder if I could have hammered the 280 out on my Bowman Pilgrim's (road +) on 32-35c gravel tires. It would have been fast and potentially bone jarring, but less time in the saddle.