View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Due respect: maybe a link to the blog ?
Sorry, I dont follow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham
ust throwing it out there, but how does your position vary on these bikes? The biggest factor to overcome for speed on flat ground is air resistance. The fit on that black mountain frame in particular is very upright compared to a road race bike, as it has a long head tube and higher stack (and you see builds with spacers and upright stems for even higher stack). All things being equal, if you’re sitting more upright, you have more air resistance to overcome.
Exactly, the BMC stack/headtube is quite large and there are spacers underneath. I dont have mine waaay up there, but it could definitely come down some at the sacrifice of that all day comfort.

This brings my other musings to mind, rando bikes. I do the occasional brevet and admire the 650b 45c tire machines. Are they slow? Id love to build one but not if im throwing down 250w to hit 20mph. Perhaps I need to change my thinking?

One last observation, I think Im struggling with 1x systems. My gravel bike is my 3rd one with it and it just feels "odd". I know it is because of gaps in the gear ratios but its more than that, like clunky almost. Meat grinder comes to mind. I typically spin at 98-105rpm and I tried today to hit and hold that and it just could not be done. The gap in the gearing required too much effort to hold 100rpm in comfort. This could also play into the "feels slow" effect.