View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 01:43 PM

I've owned the following Cannondale road frames:

- 1992 3.0 frame with Easton EC90 fork. Precursor to the CAADs. Super-stiff frame that rode nicely on smooth pavement, but less satisfactory on rough pavement, particularly on bumpy downhills.

- 2001 CAAD3 with standard Slice fork (steel steerer with carbon blades) and later an Ouzo Pro fork. I actually liked it better with the original fork since it provided a better front/rear stiffness balance. This frame was "unsophisticated" to me. It didn't leave me with any lasting impressions other than it was a reasonable racing tool.

- 2006 and 2007 Six13 Team framesets. Not technically CAAD frames, but in reality they were built as CAAD8 frames before cutting out the down and top tubes and replacing them with carbon fiber tubes. The 2007 frame was a size 57 and the 2006 was a size 56. These frames were (to me) among the best of the CAAD family of bikes. The 2007 model in particular was the lightest of the CAAD family I owned and it had the wonderful Slice Si fork. These frames had a great combination of power transfer and smoothness. Equally at home in a crit or on a century ride.

- 2010 CAAD9. Last of the US-made CAADs. As others have already stated, a terrific bike on many levels. Near instant power transfer, smooth ride, great handling. The only thing the CAAD9 gives up to the Six13 Team was a tiny bit of weight (234 grams for the frame/fork). Mine has the BB30 bottom bracket with angular contact bearings, Wheels Manufacturing Delrin adapters, and Shimano 6800 crankset. My experience has been 100% positive with smooth bearings and no creaks!

- 2012 CAAD10. Similar to the CAAD9, but very slightly laterally stiffer both front and rear with a more direct steering feel (tapered fork steerer). When I first rode it at an light-moderate pace, It felt a little too stiff and slightly twitchy. Then I rode it in a race and my perspective changed. It felt perfect in a racing environment. It reminds me of an autocross or track car. Very much at home in competition, but a touch stiff for street use. The CAAD10 frame/fork is 132 grams lighter than the CAAD9.

My $0.02: of the CAADs I've ridden, the CAAD10 is the best pure racer, the CAAD9 is the best all-arounder. The Six13 Team (sort of a CAAD...) was the best of both worlds and the one I regret selling!

Greg