View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Benb -
My Hyundai Ioniq PHEV is getting about 4 miles/kWh. So at $0.22/kWh here on Martha's Vineyard, that works out to 5.5 cents/mile. If gasoline costs $2.50/gallon and the car in local traffic got 40 mpg, then the cost/mile is 6.3 cents.
We're driving about 6,000 miles/year on electricity, at a cost of about $27.50/month (if we paid for that juice and didn't have the solar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Curious if those who live in expensive electricity areas can give an idea of monthly cost & how much you think charging an EV would add.

We have about 3k sq. feet including finished basement. We're in MA, or electricity bills are very inexpensive despite running Central Air off the electricity in the summer. House was built in 2006 and is pretty tight. (Anderson windows, well insulated, door sealed up, programmable thermostats, etc..) . We're pretty much 100% LED for lighting. One LCD TV, several computers. Gas stove. Electric clothes dryer.

We have options for buying electricity at various levels of green.. they are not particularly more expensive.

Our bills are so low it seems easier to try and buy from the greener suppliers than to do anything with Solar. We can't do solar easily anyway because we're in a duplex and would have to go in on it with the neighbors and our roof might not be the best. (We could maybe put panels on the detached garage.)

But I don't feel like adding an EV would make much of a change in our bills. I barely drive at all and my gas in the car is almost more than the whole households electrical bill. Our bill is so low I honestly don't even remember the approximate amount. The flipside is my gas for driving + maintenance on the car is probably too low to possibly make up for a loan on an EV.

Utility class solar has exploded around here.. you see it everywhere driving around now.. towns are stuffing panels into fields, along highways, etc.. like crazy.