View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
What do you mean by "steps to add fast charging at home?"
For my family unit, and this isn't uncommon, our vehicles remain parked at home for longer periods than they remain parked anywhere else...why would home be the location that they would need extra preparation for EV charging? If you park overnight on your own property, you're in large part already prepared.
Additionally, battery storage is a feature that comes with the car, not something that one needs to add later in order to operate an EV.

Despite the topic of EV charging having a fair amount of currency, Bard seems to be profiting from trade within that currency more than they are spending currency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
My typing outran my brain on that comment--I was thinking about the full solar package--so panels on the roof, battery storage and EV charging--trying to get off the grid as much as possible...
My aim, in responding to your post, as you were the original poster, was to attempt to provide any information that I could that is relevant to your needs. The thread seems to have a life of it's own, aside from whatever prompted you to post, but I'm not sure if you are getting what you want out of it. The "full solar package" is available for any type of vehicle, as the energy released by even the most polluting and inefficient combustion engine vehicle has come only from the sun, and beyond that, even the sources of pollutants ascribable to individual choices outside of transportation have, as their original source of energy, the sun. Very few people with solar PV systems are economically (or otherwise) "off the grid," so I'm uncertain what that comment is about. It is precisely the grid that has made most solar PV installations tenable. This is changing, but grid defection is (fortunately) still low.

Many people, including myself, have owned EVs and owned, contemporaneously, solar PV systems installed at a home that served as the primary charging location for the EV. These choices of solar PV and driving EVs are in no way reliant upon each other, and inquiries such as your original post occasionally seem to act as if they "need" to put them together. If anything, I would impress upon you (and others) the idea that they are not so reliant, and furthermore that the selection of an EV should in no manner be restricted by the idea of your home providing a handicapped source of voltaic pressure as being a detriment to employ for the purpose of charging the vehicle's battery system. With the choice of an EV, the owner swaps operating costs (fuel, maintenance, repairs) for a capital cost (higher equipment cost due chiefly to battery systems prices.) There is an elaborate enterprise established toward the aim of extending qualified candidates attractive finance rates for personal automobiles. If the products available satisfy your transportation needs, an EV rewards the fast follower adopter with a bargain and a generally improved operating experience, and the rest of us may experience the additional benefits of your choices.