View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 06:26 PM

Your first "REAL" road bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
It would have to be my Bianchi 'Professional' in Celeste green. The frame and forks were made with Ishiwata 022 steel. Suntour Superbe running gear.

It is in my bike room. Bought it in either 1983 or 1984 from Varsity Cycles on West Broadway in Vancouver, near Alma.

I think my Eddy Merckx Corsa rides very similarly. Very responsive bikes.

I would post photos but no skill here for that!
Just saw this. I was attending UBC and bought what I thought at the time was a pretty good road bike. Also from Varsity Cycles in Vancouver. Mine was a Bianchi Super I believe. It was probably of 1982-3 vintage. One of the first ones Made In Japan with Tru Temper tubing. It had Shimano 600 stuff on it. It was a maroon color... I wasn’t as clear then that a Bianchi isn’t really a Bianchi unless it’s Celeste and Made In Italy. Cost me $650Cdn. It was a very large frame, probably too big for me, and had a terrible speed wobble that I could invoke at will flying down West 10th Ave towards Alma Street. I eventually sold it to a friend for $100 when some years later in 1991 I got a Basso Loto from La Bicicletta on Broadway. Still have the Basso. SLX tubing and first generation Record Ergoshifters. Those who claim it took a long time for riders to accept shifting from the levers versus the downtube couldn’t have been cycling back then. I don’t remember any debates.

Last edited by Calnago; 12-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.