View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I think it came down to value, roadish geometry, and a soft spot for the Basque folks. I didn't want to go "dream bike" wild until I see if I like this gravel/ mixed road thing. I made a pact with myself to try to reduce the 10,000 miles/year on Florida roads, as it seems to get more dangerous by the day. I raced on an Orbea Opal about 10 years ago, and it was a solid bike in it's time. The Terra seems to be a good all arounder, fits well, and fits 40mm tires easily. Pricewise, complete bike was $2800, with low end Fulcrum wheels that I swapped out for credit toward the Boyds with WI hubs. No charge for custom paint and 6 week delivery. The only bike at quality/price range was the Canyon, but it had those goofy handlebars.
good thought process.

i think that getting a gravel bike as a "dream bike" is not something i would do either. first off, the tech is changing so quickly right now, who knows what will be hot in a few years. second, if you're really riding a gravel bike hard - they take abuse, and beating the crap out of a 2K dollar bike is a little less painful than beating the crap out of a 10k dollar bike.

is there decent access to off-pavement riding out your way? i know next to nothing about Florida.