View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
Serial number HG 54 056 is hanging in my garage right now, awaiting the funds to re-clearcoat the carbon tubes and build it up as it deserves. I thought of it (when contemplating the recent purchase) as a Ottrott-on-a-budget, with the added benefit of knowing the geometry and ride characteristics up front (not always possible with the full-custom Ottrott).

As stated above - yours is a HSG IT, just like mine.

As an aside, there were also full steel HSG frames - I have a CX version here as well.

ETA - my 54cm version is DEFINITELY a 27.2 seatpost diameter, not 30.9 as stated above.
Hi tommy,

Thanks for pointing out, the correct model name of these Ti/Carbon bikes was HSG IT.
I worked at Serotta during the breadth of the HSG moniker's usage, but it's been a while and some details may slip away from memory from time to time.

Among the steel bikes receiving that moniker were ONLY cyclocross frames.
Regarding seat post diameters of the HSG IT, the frames were shipped including an aluminum shim to make the 30.9 titanium seat tube I.D. accept a 27.2 seat post. I was recommending jettisoning the shim and using a 30.9 post. All Serotta frames so built tended to accumulate a stacking of tolerances which led to a poorer appearance once the seat post was installed and the clamp tightened, as well as slippage in some cases. Additionally, saddle height adjustments became a bit more fiddly, as the shim tends to move upward and rotationally with the post, requiring an extra finger or two to keep/move the shim where you want it. At the time of production of these models, the availability of 30.9 seatposts was not as broad as it is today, and there was a desire to accommodate the breadth of seat post options available in the 27.2 size. These days, the situation is different.

I like your characterization of the HSG IT as an Ottrot on a budget. It's worth bearing in mind that the budget nature of the carbon parts in the HSG and Fierte lineups were significantly less damage resistant than those in the Ottrot and Meivici lines. The pre-painted finish on that tubing was also more prone to chipping, which may contribute to an increased frequency of refinishing needs.