View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Disc

I say disc- mostly because I just went through this exercise and decided on disc for myself.
I am gong to sell my last rim brake bike and be 100% disc.

My reasons are:
1.) Bike are so light anyhow these days. My new Scott Addict disc is slightly under 16 lb. with a heavy cassette, and a couple parts that could be lighter. I could get it close to 15 lb.

2.) Dura-Ace 9170 disc stuff is the s**t! Light, lever feel just like the cable actuated levers, no buzz or rattle from the shifters- pretty much just like the rim brake group- only disc.
I am sure that the new Campy disc is equally cool.

3.) I am not a huge fan of rim braking on carbon wheels- especially when it is wet or even damp. Therefore, I never ride carbon rim brake wheels as daily drivers.
But all this changes with disc- I don't hesitate to run carbon wheels for disc brakes- In fact I run them 100% of the time- road, cross, everything.

4.) Now I have wheels that work across all of my bikes- fender bike, cross bike and now race type bike.

5.) Forgot this- Tire size. New Scott Addict disc comes stock with Conti GP4000 II in 700x28mm. As many of you know, this is a huge tire- almost 32mm in width. This tire fits and fits correctly- not pinched in there. This is with 410mm chainstay length.

What frame are you considering?

Last edited by John H.; 10-19-2017 at 12:17 PM.