View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
AWS main customer is Netflix. Netflix is about 40% of internet traffic in the US on any given weeknight. "Commodity" cloud service is also an AWS prime business, and yes, no way you can do it "in house" for any where near what they charge, but some items (research, real time decisions, proprietary stuff) need to be either in private cloud or on premises, of course. If, to your curing cancer problem, you need to rent 10,000 servers for 2 weeks or build a dedicated data center for the same problem, the choice is easy. They offer reasonably priced analytics as well. It can be secure as you need, they're not a glorified supermarket, AWS is the portion of the company that makes money. The issue with Amazon retail is that they are predatory, no or little focus on making money, so they can drive out competition...
Uh, isn't Netflix's video service in house? OpenConnect? I believe a lot of analytics and user info is stored in AWS, but not the actual streaming. That said I have to say, it's not just the retail side which is predatory. Read the reviews on glassdoor. Talk to employees; unless you're single, people in my age range are working crazy long hours to keep their managers happy.

This recent article in the NYT about janitors is a depressing but very telling story of how companies like amazon now run business. While my experience with PerformanceBike is limited, amazon taking over the entire retail map really is not a good thing.

If you're still hesitant, read about their recent brick and mortar book stores. Very limited selection and doing away with employees. Payment is done by face recognition. No need to walk to a cashier or even a self-checkout.

And while we're talking about jobs going away, doctors are going to be dated too.

Last edited by deechee; 09-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.