View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
One other thing, many or most of these companies buying automated equipment aren't displacing workers. They typically keep them and either train them as operators or move them elsewhere in the facility. I have personally installed a machine right next to where 8 people were taping up boxes all day long. These people had a quota of 75 boxes an hour or something, and just stood there in shifts folding and taping boxes. It's a job, but not a job you would want.

I talked to the director of operations of the aforementioned facility, a multi billion dollar company by the way, and he said when it comes to these unskilled, repetitive labor jobs, they have a very difficult time even finding people that will do the job, let alone people that are reliable. Apparently it's a big problem. These jobs are basically last resort jobs for the unskilled, or people that don't make it in other jobs. Everyone talks about automation stealing jobs but there ARE NOT lines out the door with people applying for these jobs.

The real problem, in my opinion, is our society's idea of working and productivity. It's just not going to be compatible with the future and things are going to have to change because at some point there will be very few unskilled jobs. What do you do with millions of people unable or unwilling to do work beyond unskilled labor?
^Totally agree with this.