View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Two custom frames for me and one custom stem, all fantastic experiences.

My Della Santa, Roland predicted nearly to the exact day my frame would be in hand. My Rock Lobster, Paul ran over his initial estimate a bit for completion timing, but was open and up front about when it would arrive.

Honestly, I didn't obsess over small geometry or tubing details, I figure that's their gig. I found out after the fact Roland gave me an oversize main triangle, for example, or that Paul decided to go with his cyclocross chainstays on my road frame.

In both instances, we had some pretty in-depth conversations about what I wanted from the bike, what I rode that I liked, what I rode that I hated, and why. That included everything from features on the frame (tire clearance, fender mounts, etc) to how the bike rode and the feeling on it. That convo also included stuff they had no interest in doing or building, and steering me away from stupid ideas. Paul, for example, was pretty clear that BB30 is butt. Eric at Winter Bicycles steered me away (pun intended) from a stupid handlebar sizing on my custom stem. Mostly I just got outta the way and let them do what they do best.

Generally, I'd say have those conversations, and if you're not 100% comfortable with the builder, time to hit the bricks and find someone who you do click with. It's kinda like dating, I guess.
Thanks for the tips. And yeah, come to think of it, it is like dating - part in-person speed-dating at the shows, part on-line dating... And I'll stop the analogy there.

Funny you mention Paul too - Rock Lobster has been my plan for at least a year for my first true custom - his was my first steel roadie and I've never lost my affinity... Who knows, maybe I need a race bike from Paul and this all-roader from Mark

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.