View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Other than your comment being rude, ad hominem and out of line, it is completely vacuous.

You think you know enough to take a wild, roundhouse punch like that, I think you'd better back it up with something that makes you sound smart instead of puerile.

I disagree. What's sometimes missing here in some responses is the ability to roll with the flow of conversation, through all its tangents, differences of opinion and non sequiturs. This isn't a mathematical equation, it is a conversation.

I'll give you kudos for bringing up an interesting work of architecture intrinsic to a fascinating icon of behemoth capitalism going through various phases of its continual reinvention; as all tech companies must do to varying degrees.

I think it is a mistake to continually expect Apple to define itself as a creator of technology that became a pivot point for an entire world, as the invention of the iPhone did. Can't bet the company on those types of generational upheaval. But Apple does what they do very well and in their own unique outlook and design, and that isn't a bad thing. As such, looking for the next global technology epiphany from Apple is too limiting a corporate ideal to pursue and one that cannot be targeted and strategized for anyway.

Warren Buffet views AAPL as a value investment and not as a growth investment. For now, maybe that's OK.
The problem is, for the better part of two decades, Apple owned the creative class. It was de rigeur for all sorts of designers, audio and video pros, the works. But they've transformed -- beginning under Jobs and continuing under Cook -- to become another consumer electronic conglomerate. They bought Beats for Pete's sake. Computers have taken up a smaller and smaller percentage of their sales, and their growth hasn't been in those devices. As others noted, they've all but stopped developing professional-grade equipment.

Microsoft has happily moved into that gap. While bumpy at launch, the Surface is now the go-to for so many creative types I know. That was heresy even just a few years ago.

So we'll see what it means long-term, but the lack of real development in the computer space is going to catch up with them sooner or later.