View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 02:56 PM

My perspective

As with anything else, there are pros and cons to carbon wheels. In particular, due to their different manufacturing processes, it is easier to produce carbon rims in aerodynamically efficient shapes than aluminum rims, and also to produce those shapes at a lighter weight. That has to balanced with their higher cost, less consistent braking, and greater tendency for heat sensitivity (particularly for carbon clinchers.

I do have a set of carbon/aluminum Flo 60 wheels, and here's is my use for them:

I'm still actively racing my bike, but now that I'm in my 50s I'm having a little more trouble keeping up with the younger guys. On the other hand, at this stage in life I have a little more earning power than some younger guys, so I can afford some more expensive wheels (although Flo wheels are on the inexpensive end for carbon wheels). I'm certain that the Flo wheels are faster than traditional aluminum rim wheels would be in the type of racing I do (primarily criteriums), but not by much. It is a matter of incremental improvement, and is only a small portion of the increment improvements I use.

Years ago, I raced on a steel framed bike with traditional wheels. In addition to the afore mentioned aero wheels, I now also race with aero frame bike (which even has aero drop bars), use low rolling resistance tires which have been matched to the aerowheels (Flo did a study of the best tires for their wheels), I use aero water bottles, and wear an aero road helmet and skinsuit. It is true that all of these add only marginal improvements. But when all of these things are added together, I figure I get a speed gain of about 1/2 to 2/3 of a mph (and the skinsuit and helmet are probably most of that).

When I'm not racing, I still ride a traditional steel bike with traditional aluminum rim wheels, with traditional bottles, etc. Do I notice the performance loss? Not really; I'm sure its there, but its small enough to not notice without a stop watch (or other competing racers). However, the traditional equipment does tend to be more practical for everyday riding.