View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrider View Post
So as every parent of a teenager has most likely experienced, mine has now decided to shut down, lie, cheat, and just become down right mean. His grades are good, holds down a part time server job, and has always been a good kid.
I'm a psych nurse and have extensive experience working with kids, but when it comes to my own

My wife and I are exploring leadership or mission trips for him to see the "real" world and get his hands dirty helping to improve or rebuild a community etc in a lower socioeconomic class in hopes that a little culture and hard work will improve his attitude. Not looking for a boot camp (not yet anyway) and doesnt matter if its affiliated with a religious entity or not.

Anyone have suggestions and/or success stories? Thanks for reading!
I am not sure how you get him to physically go on the trip if what you describe is accurate.

Based upon this "So as every parent of a teenager has most likely experienced, mine has now decided to shut down, lie, cheat, and just become down right mean. His grades are good, holds down a part time server job, and has always been a good kid"

I would look into alternate ways of talking/relating to your child. Good grades and a job, but lies to parents sounds pretty good for a teenager. Not great. Not ideal. But pretty good.

I only have the story of how my aunt and uncle ruined my cousin by expecting him to work and get good grades like my brothers and I ( we didn't work and didn't have his learning disability). I hope he is still on the wagon...last time I saw him he had been arrested again for driving while drunk.