View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
The CARB/EPA test protocol is well known by the industry; the computer was specifically programmed to identify this case, based, presumably, on relative wheel speed, and specific throttle positions and rpm ranges. This would be enough to tell the computer the car is running on a dyno and subject to a specific test. It should be noted that the car isn't programmed to cheat on periodic smog checks (for which most diesels are exempt anyway), but rather to cheat on the specific test the federal government uses to certify the car for sale in the US.

And yes, to prevent the cost of replacement. The part in question is expensive, and VW offered an 8-year warranty on it.

I've programmed engine control units (ECUs) in race cars, including doing something similar (engaging a specific protocol based on a set of difficult-to-replicate conditions) to what VW did. It's not rocket science. It does require a laptop.
Get it-testing, the CARB/EPA test, not when I get Colorado emissions tested before I get my license plates..10-4. I'm assuming this has nothing to do with this, or does it? Not sure if my TDI is exempt or not.