View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hmmm, front ders, particularly shimano, are not 'problematic', in fact almost automatic(and indeed on XTR di2, it is). And sorry, a 4-6 tooth gap IS an issue as is the front chainring 'selected' then finding its either too big or too small. 'Rapidly changing terrain' would call for smaller gaps, not larger.
From these comments, I gather that you don't do much off-road riding. Do you think you could do a reliable front shift on this hill? I don't think I could (regardless of the shifting system). But I could (and have) done a rear shift.

The reality is that rear shifting is done on the unloaded bottom run of the chain, and front shifting is done on the loaded bottom run of the chain, so rear shifting under power will always be more reliable.

I have no idea why you think rapidly changing terrain calls for smaller gear size gaps. With small gear size gaps, you'd often have to shift multiple gears to find the right one. If your gears are 5% apart, and the grade changes by 15% within a few yards, you'd have to shift 3 times.