View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Barn find (sort of) Benotto

I was delivering to one of my regular stops the other day (I'm a UPS driver) and in conversation with my customer mentioned my bike addiction. He came right back with his former cycling habit and told me about his mid 80s Peugeot PX-10. He told me that he had given it away years prior and coincidentally, I know the fellow who he gave it to and had seen him riding it on many occasions. He mentioned that his wife had a Benotto and I told him how I thought that those old Italian marques were pretty neat. He said, "wait here" and went into his storage/vacant farmhouse that sits next to his home. Minutes later he rolled this dusty, time capsule like Benotto and said, "you can have it, I've been trying to get rid of it for years". I was shocked, and offered to pay him something for it. He said that if I rode it that would be plenty enough for him. Pretty nice guy.

I knew nothing about the Benotto story so when I got home I read up on the web. Turns out this bike, Modelo 800, is sort of the basic high tensile lugged frame with middling Suntour and Modolo bits. The tires were flat but uncracked (schrader valves). He pulled off a sheepskin seat cover to expose a pristine Avocet Touring WII saddle. Finished off with the classic Benotto bar tape. I pumped the tires up and a few minutes later the rear exploded. The front is still holding air. I replaced the rear with a tire that I had around, and swapped the Avocet saddle for a big black one that I had in the garage. Snugged some loose spokes, centered the brakes, and took a spin around the block. 2 x 6 speed friction shifting. I'm not sure just what I want to do as far as restoration/conversion, but it seems like it will be a fun project.

Last edited by henrypretz; 08-30-2014 at 06:02 PM.