Thread: If........
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
The bike won't be a CSi. It won't even be a Serotta. But it can have the heart and soul of one. You should take those signature pieces and build a CSI as you would envision it would be built today with the best of what's available now. Isn't that what you guys set out to do when designing the first CSi? Making the best steel bike possible?
You are of course right on - said bike would not be a CSi nor would it be a Serotta but instead it would, if built, be an homage to the company and the bikes it made.

It would of course be a time capsule of sorts where one would draw a line in the sand and say "I want to a bike just like 1992" and not be the newest most cutting edge bike that takes in account the passing years and the advancement of materials that have happened over that time. I think if one wanted to build a CSi for 2014 one would use Colorado tubes made out of 953 with walls of .55/.35/.55, lighter c-stays with more aggressive butts, thinner s-stays......etc. The problem of course is that these tubes don't exist and can't be had at anything near to a reasonable cost.

I feel my current offerings, especially the JKS, are the best bike I can build with the materials that are currently available. I use stock 953 main tubes (and can't think of a way I would change them) and chainstays, seat stays and fork blades that are made for me to give the ride I feel a bike should have. The specs evolve over time with the idea being that at any given time the JKS is the best bike I can build.........it's in its DNA and it will continue to evolve over time. An homage bike would by design be a time capsule of a time that has passed and in that way be different that what I currently build.

dave