View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
extremely tall

1. An $8000 carbon frame is not 100% better than a $4000 carbon frame. Nor is it 200% better than a $2000 carbon frame.

2. Ben doesn't want to make bikes. He hasn't stood at a bench for 30+ years. No disrespect; but the truth. If he wanted to make bikes, he could do so, in a shop attached to his house. From the very early days, he's aspired to Run A Company, something which he's proved unsuccessful at doing. Truth: Ben is not the guy who made your bike.

3. Firefly. They're doing what Serotta aspires/proclaims to do, but they're doing it sustainably and cost competitively. US-made framebuilding components? Check. Full Customization? Check. Impeccable craftsmanship? Check. I'm no fanboy, but I know quality when I see it.

4. It's a tough f&cking business. On the handbuilt side, it's largely cult of personality. Ben ain't got that in sufficient quantity to monetize. On the large-scale side, it's value/$. Ben ain't had that for a decade.

5. Whatever S were, they've found themselves in desperate situations/sold themselves so many times that they'll NEVER be that again.