The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (http://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lezyne Floor Pump.... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=78280)

oldguy00 09-06-2010 09:52 AM

Lezyne Floor Pump....

I can't tell by the photos online.....do these basically have the same type of pump head as Silca pumps, no lever on them?
How do they compare to Silva's? I had a new Silva track pump, and I really didn't like it. If I didn't have the head tigt enough on the chuck, it flew off the valve while pumping. If I made it tight enough, it was a total bitch to get it back off....
Sooo...looking for a new pump...

malcolm 09-06-2010 10:14 AM

Not sexy but I have a specialized pro and it has worked quite well for several years now.

pdbrye 09-06-2010 10:14 AM

I just bought the Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It seems really solid, easy to pump, nice gauge and it has a nice feature with the air release button.

roguedog 09-06-2010 10:32 AM

I'm in the topeak camp too. tried the lezyne because folks raved about it. returned it cuz the head kept getting stuck on the stem.

got a topeak joe blow. much nice and easier. i'm actually liking it over my ole silca pump but it's nice to have a spare you can jsut have in the trunk for those days you're in a hurry and DOH.. you forgot to pump up the tires or something.

fourflys 09-06-2010 11:17 AM

I have the Lezyne pump and the head is a screw on that works great, it reverses for schreader valves... I've never had a Silca, but I like my Lezyne much better than the Joe Blow I had... I liked the Joe BLow until the head quit working on me (twice)...

Lionel 09-06-2010 11:31 AM

Been using my first Lezyne for about a month. This thing rocks.

fourflys 09-06-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roguedog
. returned it cuz the head kept getting stuck on the stem.

I get that every now and then on full-threaded stems... but overall, I still like the Lezyne

Buzz 09-06-2010 12:33 PM

To clarify: the Lezyne has a screw on thread. It only works on stems with a thread.

I experienced the same sticking problems for the first month before it broke in and it has been great ever since. Nice pump. Looks like it will last. I hope.

vqdriver 09-06-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdbrye
I just bought the Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It seems really solid, easy to pump, nice gauge and it has a nice feature with the air release button.

been using for it for two years so far. no issues. works fast, works well. every time.
not sexy, but no excuse to replace it.

djg 09-06-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz
To clarify: the Lezyne has a screw on thread. It only works on stems with a thread.

I experienced the same sticking problems for the first month before it broke in and it has been great ever since. Nice pump. Looks like it will last. I hope.

Only works as-is with threaded stems, but you can reverse the head and screw in a press-on chuck (mks, etc) for the odd time that doesn't work (I think that Lezyne is offering an adapter soon as well).

cassa 09-06-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz

To clarify, the pump threads onto the short length of threads at the tip of the presta valves. You don't need presta valves with threads all the way down to the rim/tube.

I thought the short length of threads was a presta standard?

fourflys 09-06-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassa
To clarify, the pump threads onto the short length of threads at the tip of the presta valves. You don't need presta valves with threads all the way down to the rim/tube.

that's what I was referring to above... I've only had issues with the stems that are threaded all the way down the stem...

1centaur 09-06-2010 05:27 PM

Silca pump, ditch the head, replace with a Hirame, wince at the price, enjoy perfect pumping from then on and the oh so high quality feel of putting on and taking off the head. Smooth or threaded valves - does not matter. Ask for the Hirame for Christmas - they'll think you're crazy. Investigate hose clamps on the Web while you're waiting.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...acf3db7d481588

Topeak was good for a while but developed a leak where the hose enters the pump body. So did the replacement kit. I like the simple clampability of the Silca - there's no physical way for it to be a problem if you have the right hose clamp, and the world is full of hose clamps for tougher conditions than a bike pump ever sees.

AngryScientist 09-06-2010 05:33 PM

the lezyne head is why i got the pump in the first place. you just screw it onto the stem and pump, not pulling on anything, no risk of damage to the tube. the pump is fantastic and built to last. have no reservations about buying this masterpiece, it rocks!

Erik.Lazdins 09-06-2010 05:35 PM

can you use threadless tubes with the lezyne?

thanks!
Erik

AngryScientist 09-06-2010 05:37 PM

yes, they are all threaded with the narrower thread at the head area, the rest of the threads dont matter to the lezyne,

Erik.Lazdins 09-06-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
yes, they are all threaded with the narrower thread at the head area, the rest of the threads dont matter to the lezyne,

sounds like a pump I should consider to replace the 1980's era Silca that still pumps even though I've not been pleased with its performance since the mid 1990's and I've replaced all the replaceables

thanks! :beer:

AngryScientist 09-06-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik.Lazdins
sounds like a pump I should consider to replace the 1980's era Silca that still pumps even though I've not been pleased with its performance since the mid 1990's and I've replaced all the replaceables

thanks! :beer:

yea, its a great, well made pump. i have an old silca too, but i dont like pushing on the head and yanking it off daily, the lezyne is actually a pleasure to use, and is much easier of valve stems, long term

thwart 09-06-2010 05:55 PM

Another positive vote for the Lezyne. I've beat on mine for almost 2 years and it looks and acts brand new.

And it's just an elegant piece to have in your garage. Looks like you paid a ton for it. :D

Erik.Lazdins 09-06-2010 07:11 PM

can it handle a smooth valve extender?

gone 09-06-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Nope.

djg 09-06-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

That was the point I tried to make above. The presta chuck that comes on the pump will not work with a smooth valve extender by itself, although the threading at the end of, e.g., Vittoria and Bontrager extenders is fine. You can, however, get an adapter, that enables you to use the pump with a smooth valve extender (or a smooth valve).

11.4 09-06-2010 08:11 PM

The Lezyne can handle a smooth valve extender as long as it's the kind that has the valve core screw into the top of the extender (like Tufo extenders, etc.). If you mean the tube that leaves the valve core at the bottom of the extender, no. But I wouldn't recommend that kind of extender anyway. The Lezyne screws into the threading on the top of the VALVE CORE.

That's the basic Lezyne head. Look at accessories on their website and you'll see other heads. Their L-shaped disc wheel head is superb and threads on to replace the existing straight head. As far as I'm concerned (and I use both discs and other wheels), that's the most practical head at any race.

You can remove the entire head from the Lezyne hose without cutting. Just disassemble and you'll find you end up with a piece that threads down onto the hose, leaving a nipple sticking inside the hose. However, note that the hose has a smaller inside diameter than most pumps. While I've heard that some people have gotten a Hirame or similar head to fit, I haven't been able to make it happen.

On the Hirame, it's definitely the ultimate head for any wheels and also fits all disc wheels. The only, repeat only, shortcoming is that the o-ring inside tends to wear out if your ham-handed friends try to pull the head right off a valve stem after pumping up. You always want to release the lever. But it's a gorgeous head.

On other pumps? I use the Specialized Air Tool Pro as well as a Lezyne CNC. Both are great. The Air Tool Pro was recently revised and given a lower (120 psi) gauge, which makes it marginal for track. The Lezyne CNC is still at 220 psi. However, I did have to replace the CNC pump gauge because it failed early on; it's rather fragile given the overall toughness of the pump. However, go to Grainger or MSC and you can find other gauges that are much better quality and fit into the same recess with the same center back threaded fitting. Then you have a pump to slug sprinters with. Both Specialized and Lezyne can send you any part you should ever need to repair these two pumps.

That old Silca you mentioned is probably old enough to have the threaded top cap and much more solid fittings overall. The head was slightly marginal, but the pump overall was great and everything was serviceable. The only problem on the head was when you didn't replace the head gasket or had the tension wrong. And with some recent valve stem extenders, they are made slightly undersize and don't fit quite right. I'd suggest you take an old Silca like that and customize the head with a Hirame or something else if you don't like the original head (some love it, some hate it, so I am not one to judge). You won't find a Silca of that same quality today.

Puh-lease don't show up at a race and be using a Sears Craftsman drill-powered tire inflator? I know people use them in cyclocross. Cyclocross tires have a lot of volume and low pressures, and cross riders are notoriously lazy people anyway. I recently watched a team pumping up track tires to 160 psi (or trying to) with a Craftsman inflator. It was, well, um, embarrassing to watch? You can't pump up a 19 mm track tubular but you can boast about 1600 watts and a 11.2 two-hundred-meter time?

bking 09-07-2010 08:54 AM

Re the hirame head on the lezyne pump, the hirame will go...you just have to muscle in on, then hose clamp. Not pretty, but makes the best pump, easiest to use, and fits everything.

oldguy00 09-07-2010 06:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The Lezyne was tempting, could have ordered it from probikekit (no LBS has them), but my LBS ended up having the Specialized Air Tool Pro in stock, so decided to go with that.
:beer:

RABikes2 09-11-2010 11:46 AM

We brought an order of Lezyne pumps into our shop, so I ordered one for my myself as the ol' Pedros was becoming a pain in the butt to use. Awesome pump, easy to use, sturdy, no effort pumping, and the screw on head of the Lezyne pump is great ... love it.

The customer feedback on the Lezyne pump was so positive, we're reordering them.

I still have an old Silca pump, too, for old time's sake. ;)

RA

Big Dan 09-11-2010 07:32 PM

Pain in the behind with Continental tubes.
Went back to my old Silca with Topeak head.

Erik.Lazdins 09-15-2010 06:07 PM

Lezyne arrived and its excellent - very few pumps to peg the pressure. Love the old silca head (with screw adjust top) but the lezyne is larger volume and a terrific pump

thanks for the posts!

MarinRider 09-15-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1centaur
Silca pump, ditch the head, replace with a Hirame, wince at the price, enjoy perfect pumping from then on and the oh so high quality feel of putting on and taking off the head. Smooth or threaded valves - does not matter. Ask for the Hirame for Christmas - they'll think you're crazy. Investigate hose clamps on the Web while you're waiting.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...acf3db7d481588

Topeak was good for a while but developed a leak where the hose enters the pump body. So did the replacement kit. I like the simple clampability of the Silca - there's no physical way for it to be a problem if you have the right hose clamp, and the world is full of hose clamps for tougher conditions than a bike pump ever sees.

What he said.

gone 09-15-2010 07:42 PM

I have to say when I first saw someone mention the Hirame head I thought "are you effin' crazy? That much for a pump head".

Then I bought one (impulse). It works. It works really well. It almost makes the daily task of inflating your tires a pleasure.

It is so rare that I encounter something that is beautiful, that performs its function flawlessly and is a pleasure to use. The $$$ it costs (in addition to the price of the pump) is totally worth it IMHO.

GTi_roadkill 09-15-2010 07:57 PM

Don't stop with the floor pump.

After seeing my riding buddy's Lezyne floor pump with the screw on head and remembering breaking off a valve stem with my frame pump last year, I bought a Lezyne frame pump.

Beautiful piece, weighs about the same as a CO2 cartridge. Not as fast as CO2, but it never runs out, I only have to carry one pump, and it's better for the environment...

gone 09-15-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTi_roadkill
Don't stop with the floor pump.

After seeing my riding buddy's Lezyne floor pump with the screw on head and remembering breaking off a valve stem with my frame pump last year, I bought a Lezyne frame pump.

Beautiful piece, weighs about the same as a CO2 cartridge. Not as fast as CO2, but it never runs out, I only have to carry one pump, and it's better for the environment...

Which one did you buy? I've got frame pumps on most of my bikes but a few are lacking and I'm in the market. I'm happy with the Lezyne floor pump and have been looking at their frame pumps but they have several. More details please.

weiwentg 09-16-2010 01:02 PM

just got a Lezyne floor pump to go with my frame pump. very easy to use. gets my vote.

fiamme red 09-16-2010 02:01 PM

I'm going to buy a Lezyne to replace my latest floor pump, a Blackburn Air Tower 4, which is complete garbage.

GTi_roadkill 09-17-2010 08:01 PM

"Lezyne road drive L" runs around $40, weighs about 100g (OK, so it's heavier than CO2), and will pump to 160 psi (claimed). It's takes some time to get above 90, but it is possible.

They also make one with carbon that costs twice as much to save 20g that also maxes out at 120 psi.

RABikes2 09-18-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTi_roadkill
"Lezyne road drive L" runs around $40, weighs about 100g (OK, so it's heavier than CO2), and will pump to 160 psi (claimed). It's takes some time to get above 90, but it is possible.

They also make one with carbon that costs twice as much to save 20g that also maxes out at 120 psi.

Good info - thanks!

uriani 09-18-2010 07:57 PM

Lezyne threads on to the valve, pretty awesome design. Very efficient too. As a shop pump getting tons on use they aren't super durable, but I have yet to find anything that will last more than a few months. Topeak are great cheaper pumps that lack the sexy german minimal styling, but work great. Topeak parts are much easier to get than Lezyne.

DHallerman 09-19-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourflys
I liked the Joe BLow until the head quit working on me (twice)...

I've had problems, too, with the Joe Blow pump chunk.

However, the flip side of that is that Topeak sent me replacement chucks -- which just screw right on -- at no cost.

Dave, who has had some problems with the Lezyne floor pump's chuck being hard to take off the valve but likes the screw-on chuck concept