The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   An Independent Abomination (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=304847)

AngryScientist 03-05-2024 09:34 AM

An Independent Abomination

I think Indy Fab has made some great bikes over the years.

And then, you see one of these....

How the hell does this come to be, and why??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/226031869302

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5kgAA...C/s-l1200.webp

BruceVelo 03-05-2024 09:39 AM

At least they only made 10.

echelon_john 03-05-2024 09:51 AM

On the topic of IF, who even are they now? I bought a 29er Deluxe about 5 years ago from NH that hasn’t really sparked joy. It felt like a contract build compared to my Somerville-built Deluxe from 1999. They’re in Lynn, MA now. Nothing on the website about who’s doing what. Seems like an empty shell. Am I wrong? Anybody have insight? Genuinely curious.

Turkle 03-05-2024 09:52 AM

I personally think it's pretty rad. But what purpose does the extra tube serve? I couldn't begin to guess. Was it made for an unusually heavy rider or something? But if so, why single-speed?

AngryScientist 03-05-2024 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echelon_john (Post 3359203)
On the topic of IF, who even are they now? I bought a 29er Deluxe about 5 years ago from NH that hasn’t really sparked joy. It felt like a contract build compared to my Somerville-built Deluxe from 1999. They’re in Lynn, MA now. Nothing on the website about who’s doing what. Seems like an empty shell. Am I wrong? Anybody have insight? Genuinely curious.

I'm hoping to go to the Philly show and see what they have to say.

fmradio516 03-05-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkle (Post 3359204)
I personally think it's pretty rad. But what purpose does the extra tube serve? I couldn't begin to guess. Was it made for an unusually heavy rider or something? But if so, why single-speed?

Klunker-style all the way! I like it besides the paint job. Im sure the paint is well done, but I could do without the flames.

Xrslug 03-05-2024 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkle (Post 3359204)

Given what looks like a high number of spokes (I’m counting 36 or 40 in the front wheel?), along with the extra cross-tube in the frame, I’d also guess it’s for a heavier rider. Why single speed? A heavy rider, even an overweight rider, can still be a really strong rider, or maybe they just live in a flat area.

BruceVelo 03-05-2024 10:12 AM

Looking at the catalog all sizes of this Roadster model had double top tubes. A style choice to mimic an older model.

raygunner 03-05-2024 10:15 AM

I reached out to IF sometime back...maybe better part of a year ago now...to inquire about having another touring bike made. They made my Independence and it was a great bike, would love another!

pwgoode 03-05-2024 10:15 AM

I initially saw that plug in the wall behind the bike and though this was some sort of e-bike abomination. Then I realized that it's just and ugly bike.

I remember when IF seemed to be the pinnacle of small builders. Not so much any more I guess.

Pegoready 03-05-2024 10:16 AM

I think that bike is rad. The IF Roadsters were always cool. Definitely a bit odd seeing one in road format (most were V-Brake MTB's) but it's still cool IMO.

I wonder, at least once a month, what happened to IF. They seemed to be the handbuilt darlings of the 2000's. Cool projects, great catalogs, tons of output. They fell off hard. I know the history of ownership changes and moves but it doesn't really explain why the company literally has petered to a standstill.

On my forever bike bucket list is a sloping crown jewel steel road frame with the steel fork and the old block logos, either a single color or fade. No flames ;)

jbrainin 03-05-2024 10:17 AM

If you want that classic IF goodness, you gotta get a Firefly.

bicycletricycle 03-05-2024 10:21 AM

A twin top tube MTB was one of their first offerings.

Turkle 03-05-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegoready (Post 3359223)
I think that bike is rad. The IF Roadsters were always cool. Definitely a bit odd seeing one in road format (most were V-Brake MTB's) but it's still cool IMO.

This makes sense! Thanks for chiming in on that, that explains the double tube setup.

EB 03-05-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrslug (Post 3359216)
Given what looks like a high number of spokes (I’m counting 36 or 40 in the front wheel?), along with the extra cross-tube in the frame, I’d also guess it’s for a heavier rider. Why single speed? A heavy rider, even an overweight rider, can still be a really strong rider, or maybe they just live in a flat area.

This. Big single-speeders worry about frame stiffness. This is one way to get it in steel, (potentially) without increasing tube thickness.