The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Just bought my first set of modern clincher wheels - what tires? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=304236)

BdaGhisallo 02-15-2024 06:03 AM

Just bought my first set of modern clincher wheels - what tires?

I've been riding tubulars for the past 30 plus years and I just bought a set of Bontrager Aeolus XXX clincher wheels to see how they are. I have three sets of these wheels in tubular and they are fantastic, so I figured they'd be worth a try in clincher form.

So what tires are the ones to get these days? I am looking for something that's easy to mount with decent puncture protection (but not Gatorskin levels of it) and rolls nicely.

I use Veloflex tubs, so are Veloflex Corsa EVO tires the simple answer? Do they mount up wide compared to their labeled width? The Bontragers have internal widths of 21mm.

I've also heard good things about Schwalbe tires. I think Continentals are out since I gather that are a tough mount - the same reason I swore off their tubs years ago.

Are most folks still using butyl tubes? Are latex tubes reliable enough for daily use? And what are these TPU things I've seen.

I'm a total newb on this front so any guidance you can offer would be great, thanks.

rustychisel 02-15-2024 06:22 AM

Veloflex, mate. Many people say good things about Vittoria Corsa Graphene etc and they're pretty good, but I'm not totally sold on manufacturing quality and therefore longevity. I like Continental, too, so there's that, but to my mind Veloflex is still the gold standard.

As an aside, a pair of high end tyres is quite an investment these days, and it needs pointing out to some who tend to view them as mere consumables, they are the interface between machine and road. There is no more important an item on the cycle.

mass_biker 02-15-2024 06:28 AM

Tubed clinchers

Are not dead after all! Just kidding.

That’s all I ride.

I have also moved on from Contis. I found them way too hard to mount. And wanted to try something new.

I have really enjoyed the new Pirelli road tires. Mount up easily, roll really fast, and are durable.

For something more burly (read - can do some light, rough stuff), hard to go wrong with the Panaracer Gravelking “smooth”. Have these in 26c on my ~ 20 year old C50 (i.e. a bike with not a ton of clearance) and it has held up well on some surprise off piste “roads” (use that term lightly) that I find myself on sometimes.

Last, I picked up some of the Michelin Pro4 “Endurance” series. These are great. Lively, but durable. Easy to mount. But they run wide. 25c are almost 28, 28c are easily 30+.

Good luck!

AngryScientist 02-15-2024 06:33 AM

If you want the best and that sweet tubular feel:

-Veloflex
-Vittoria Corsa PRO
-Specialized turbo cotton

-Latex tubes

merckx 02-15-2024 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 3351841)
If you want the best and that sweet tubular feel:

-Veloflex
-Vittoria Corsa PRO
-Specialized turbo cotton

-Latex tubes

AS, you have spoken highly about Vittoria Corsa Pro. Do you run them tubeless or with tubes?

AngryScientist 02-15-2024 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merckx (Post 3351842)
AS, you have spoken highly about Vittoria Corsa Pro. Do you run them tubeless or with tubes?

Both.

With latex tubes in 25c

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...0/IMG_1677.jpg

And tubeless in 32c

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...0/IMG_1378.jpg

2metalhips 02-15-2024 06:46 AM

I've been using those wheels with Conti GP5K 28mm with latex tubes for about 10 months in all kinds of New England conditions with no problems, no flats, fairly easy to mount. I always prestretch the tires on spare rims first. You are talking about rim brakes right?

reuben 02-15-2024 06:48 AM

Pirelli P Zero every day, Specialized Turbo Cotton (a tad faster). Butyl Continental tubes.

BdaGhisallo 02-15-2024 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2metalhips (Post 3351845)
You are talking about rim brakes right?

If this is directed at me, yes, these are rim brake wheels.

Carbonita 02-15-2024 06:55 AM

For consistently tested reviews, check out Bicycle rolling resistance. Also Tour magazine explains their testing methods:
https://www.tour-magazin.de/kaufbera...-im-tour-test/

Quote:

Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo (Post 3351832)
"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein.

BdaGhisallo 02-15-2024 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One further question for those using Veloflex clinchers.

I often get a chalky film that develops on the black sidewalls of the Veloflex tubulars I use. I can easily remove it by wiping them with rubbing alcohol, though it sometimes comes back. The longer I run the tubs the less of an issue this is.

Do the clinchers also develop this film?

DeBike 02-15-2024 07:12 AM

IMO, latex tubes are no more likely to puncture than butyl tubes, except when mounting. You have to be vigilant getting the tire bead into the rim to prevent pinch flats. I think for some situations, the elasticity of the latex gives better protection. IME, with good tires, the latex tubes offer a softer ride.I like Gravel King 26, 28mm slicks, 28 mm semi slick for mixed surface. I really like Hutchinson Performance in 25,28mm, but they are more costly.
Also, I have always liked Vittoria Rubinho tires, and for less money, the latest version of Zaffiro Pro G2 are surprisingly good.

jadmt 02-15-2024 07:21 AM

I have both Schwalbe pro1's and Conti gp5000 32mm width mounted on wheels and that are 20mm wide inside 25 out and both were super easy to mount using schwalbe aerothan tpu tubes.

Caballero 02-15-2024 07:27 AM

Hey Bdaghisallo. Did you ever post a pic of your bike ? I was always wondering how the full build turned out. (Sorry for the off topic)

Tickdoc 02-15-2024 07:35 AM

Veloflex clinchers are the only thing close to feel to tubs, in my experience. They are a good deal, easy to obtain, you get black and tan sidewall choices, you get good bead retention, decent flat resistance, and they don't snake out from under you during hard cornering like some other Italian clinchers I've tried.