The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pedalling Dreams: The Raleigh Story (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202206)

choke 03-20-2017 03:07 PM

Pedalling Dreams: The Raleigh Story

An hour long BBC documentary on Raleigh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-subi1qRg

DarkStar 03-20-2017 06:58 PM

Long time lust for a Raleigh Professional, thanks for the link.

roguedog 03-20-2017 08:51 PM

Thanks! Put it in my watch list.

Black Dog 03-20-2017 08:58 PM

Great stuff. Thanks. :beer:

91Bear 03-20-2017 09:18 PM

When I was 13, I bought a Raleigh Rambler MX - the first bike I bought with my own money.

alancw3 03-21-2017 02:32 AM

thanks for sharing. my first "racing" bike was a 1958 raleigh lenton grand prix. benelux derailleurs. front was shifted by a rod attached to the seat tube. one of the most popular "out of the box racers" back then. i remember shoveling snow and mowing lawns all year to buy that bike. $112 complete with tool kit, rear saddle bag, brooks saddle, weinman brakes and large flange hubs.

charliedid 03-21-2017 08:14 AM

Thanks

bluesea 03-21-2017 08:54 AM

Cool, my first real road bike was a green Super Course.

mcteague 03-21-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesea (Post 2145641)
Cool, my first real road bike was a green Super Course.

My first real bike was a Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 I believe. Dark metallic red with black panels, Simplex shifters.

Tim

quattro 03-21-2017 04:19 PM

Me Too!

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 2145443)
Long time lust for a Raleigh Professional, thanks for the link.

As a 13 year old I had a crush on the Raleigh Professional and International. Both beautiful bikes in the early '70's.

I am hoping to sell this Raleigh 3-speed that belonged to my Uncle. It was purchased New in about 1939-39, has been in his basement unridden for the last 50 years, a nice piece of history. Does anyone know who much something like this is worth and the best place to list it for sale?
Thanks,
quattro

alancw3 03-22-2017 03:14 AM

you might try selling on classic rendezvous:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com

BdaGhisallo 03-22-2017 04:49 AM

1:40 in - how do I get my hair to do that?

mcteague 03-22-2017 05:07 AM

I'm surprised they didn't cover the bike boom in the early 70s in the US. That must have helped the bottom line.

Tim

alancw3 03-22-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcteague (Post 2146035)
I'm surprised they didn't cover the bike boom in the early 70s in the US. That must have helped the bottom line.

Tim

they did. raleigh was a huge player in the bike market in the 60's, 70's and 80's.. actually either number 1 or number 2 with schwinn. interesting how both companies ended up in the same situation selling off to conglomerates that then cheapen the bikes by exporting production to achieve reduced costs in effect lowering the companies to the huffies and columbias of the world which had also gone through this medamorphisis several years earlier. they where two great bike companies that struggled with changing times. that being said who knows if any bike company could have survived in it's original form back then with union regulations and increasing overhead. ashamed for history as they were the two dominant bike companies that gave consumers great choices of quality built bikes. i think that was when consumers became more interested in price than quality. have we not seen that in all other areas of our lives since then. what i call the walmart or kmart effect. actually in some ways it is almost hard to find a quality product today but that is the life that we have all come to.

mcteague 03-22-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancw3 (Post 2146145)
they did. raleigh was a huge player in the bike market in the 60's, 70's and 80's.. actually either number 1 or number 2 with schwinn. interesting how both companies ended up in the same situation selling off to conglomerates that then cheapen the bikes by exporting production to achieve reduced costs in effect lowering the companies to the huffies and columbias of the world which had also gone through this medamorphisis several years earlier. they where two great bike companies that struggled with changing times. that being said who knows if any bike company could have survived in it's original form back then with union regulations and increasing overhead. ashamed for history as they were the two dominant bike companies that gave consumers great choices of quality built bikes. i think that was when consumers became more interested in price than quality. have we not seen that in all other areas of our lives since then. what i call the walmart or kmart effect. actually in some ways it is almost hard to find a quality product today but that is the life that we have all come to.

They seemed to jump right to the Ti Raleigh days which were late in the 70s and early 80s. I was thinking more around 1970 when "10 speeds" really stated to take off in the US.

Tim