The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zipp 404 rim crack (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=87437)

guylimey 03-19-2011 08:14 PM

Zipp 404 rim crack

Anyone seen a radial crack from one spoke hole in a dimpled 404 rim? What was the diagnosis? Still rideable etc etc.

AngryScientist 03-19-2011 08:45 PM

i'm no expert, but i wouldnt ride a carbon wheel with a crack in it...

CDM 03-19-2011 08:48 PM

same here

One radial crack at the spoke. Noticed it then did another ride and it got bigger. Guys I ride with told me it is common and zip will cover it no question. I have yet to be able to reach a rep or get a call back in 2 weeks of trying but remain confident due to the fact numerous people had this experience. clincher 404 here

Charles M 03-19-2011 09:25 PM

There's nothing anyone here can tell you except dont ride the wheel.

nada.

why isnt your shop getting hold of the rep?

WickedWheels 03-19-2011 10:32 PM

I wouldn't say it's common. I've never seen that and have been selling Zipp for a long time, but they do have excellent customer service.

oldpotatoe 03-20-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guylimey
Anyone seen a radial crack from one spoke hole in a dimpled 404 rim? What was the diagnosis? Still rideable etc etc.

Yes, nipple pulling thru. It will continue and the wheel will go outta true, shouldn't ride it.

For WickedWheels..been selling them a long time and have never seen it?

Well, I have been working on them a long time and have seen it often. I wouldn't say it's 'common' but these rims are very suseptible to cracking if overtensioned.

oldpotatoe 03-20-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDM
One radial crack at the spoke. Noticed it then did another ride and it got bigger. Guys I ride with told me it is common and zip will cover it no question. I have yet to be able to reach a rep or get a call back in 2 weeks of trying but remain confident due to the fact numerous people had this experience. clincher 404 here

Try a bike shop contacting Sram/Zipp?

mike p 03-20-2011 07:38 AM

About four or five years ago you saw ton's of zipps at all our local races. Now you rarely see a set. You mostly see reynolds or edge. Zipps were lite and aero but extremely fragile. I can't tell you how many zipps I've seen wrecked after running over RR tracks, expansion joints, or JRA. Also zipp customer service rarley made anyone happy in my neck of the woods. Our zipp dealer who's a great guy and been in bus. over 30 years now sells reynolds and easton. Zipp may have changed and may produce a great product now? They must be doing something right there still around and they sure advertise alot. All the same I'll keep racing on reynolds.

Mike

zap 03-20-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guylimey

That I wouldn't ride.