The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Serotta lays off 40% of workforce, planning shutdown (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=133797)

Tom 07-31-2013 01:18 PM

Yes, I immediately freaked out and called them up because my Legend frame is up there getting a cracked dropout replaced. They reassured me that they are planning to fulfill their commitments for new orders, RAs and warranty work. It was a sad phone call, I felt bad for doing that, they were really understanding of how I could be apprehensive but what struck me the most was it was like the person I talked to was grieving for the company more than he was worried about himself.

Nooch 07-31-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 1393335)
It was a sad phone call, I felt bad for doing that, they were really understanding of how I could be apprehensive but what struck me the most was it was like the person I talked to was grieving for the company more than he was worried about himself.

I've gotten that feeling from every employee I've ever met.. there's a pride behind the company that I can relate to, and I'll be proud to ride (what may be) one of the last frames out of that shop

David Kirk 07-31-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nooch (Post 1393339)
I've gotten that feeling from every employee I've ever met.. there's a pride behind the company that I can relate to, and I'll be proud to ride (what may be) one of the last frames out of that shop

You hit it right on the nose - there is a deep pride.

Dave

bicycletricycle 07-31-2013 01:32 PM

what a shame.

shovelhd 07-31-2013 01:32 PM

I am looking forward to the restructuring. They're not dead yet, as long as Ben and Bill stick together.

tuscanyswe 07-31-2013 01:35 PM

That is sad! I dont have any need nore fonds but i was somehow still considering a pronto.

Hope i get another shot at buying a serotta in the future.

cc700 07-31-2013 01:39 PM

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...n#.Ufk3fVOvVL9

MattTuck 07-31-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Watkins said Serotta has closed its factory in Poway, California, and laid off all the employees there. Serotta's remaining bike builders in New York were working to complete orders.
That's a bummer. I visited that factory. Mike Lopez gave me a tour. Super nice guy and was impressed by what they were doing.

LegendRider 07-31-2013 01:50 PM

This question is probably worthy of a new thread, but, with hindsight, what should Serotta have done in the last 20 years? (IMO they were on a 20+ year business, not technology, decline - from 7-11, Coors Light, intro of the Legend to today's sad news)

ultraman6970 07-31-2013 01:51 PM

When the stuff gets hard you have to bring investors and those basically see only dollar signs and decide what to do. Sad situation, all I can say.

Hope he is able to get a new brand back up anyday soon.

slidey 07-31-2013 01:55 PM

Speaking from a practical standpoint, I can't see what Ben/Bill or Ben/Bill/every employee of the erstwhile Serotta sticking together can achieve without a radical evolution of their marketing strategy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 1393345)
I am looking forward to the restructuring. They're not dead yet, as long as Ben and Bill stick together.

SpokeValley 07-31-2013 02:06 PM

I'm wondering, and this is for brainier folks than I, but...

If DCG didn't provided the funding that would have 'consumated the deal', would there still be a deal?

I'm hoping that Ben would at least retain his brand name. It's his name after all...

jr59 07-31-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidey (Post 1393365)
Speaking from a practical standpoint, I can't see what Ben/Bill or Ben/Bill/every employee of the erstwhile Serotta sticking together can achieve without a radical evolution of their marketing strategy.

I'm pretty sure I'm in this camp.

19wisconsin64 07-31-2013 02:18 PM

Sad to hear, such a great brand. I hope they can find a way to continue on somehow.

tuxbailey 07-31-2013 02:27 PM

terrible news.